Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Frankenstein Friday


Another author in Twitter inspired me for today's random blog when they mentioned today as Frankenstein Friday.  I started doing some research online about Frankenstein and discovered something new about Mary Shelley, the author who created the Frankenstein monster.  Apparently there is such a thing as a "Frankenstein Moon". 

As the story goes, Lord Byron issued a challenge to those visiting him at Lake Geneva to write their own Ghost Story.  Apparently, Mary Shelley was having issues finding her muse until one night she had a vision or dream that inspired her story and opened her eyes to see the moonlight streaming in through the windows. 

I'm not entirely sure why physicists would be so interested in recreating that event or why it was controversial in any way at all.  Why would she lie about the moon coming in through her window?  And who cares if she were?  She's an author and has the right to embellish anything she writes.  It's how we are. We create and embellish to draw in our readers.  Sometimes we do so to draw ourselves into our writing too.

I'm curious about my readers and ask for you to participate.  Does any of you watch the classic horror movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, and Wolfman?  And, if so, do you like the originals or remakes?  Personally, I think Boris Karloff was an awesome make-up artist for his time and really enjoy the black and white classics (but I also am a huge fan of Young Frankenstein).

I'd love to hear from you.

Happy Reading!

No comments: